In this dish, squid is cooked in olive oil with garlic and shallot flavors. The addition of slightly concentrated Kayanoya vegetable stock elevates the umami. You can replace the kale with other greens such as spinach, collard greens, and Swiss chard.
- 1 packet Kayanoya Original Vegetable Stock Powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped shallots
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 11 ounces squid, cut crosswise into ½-inch thick slices
- Pinches of sea salt and black pepper
- 2 ounces kale, cut crosswise into 1-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a small saucepan, place packet of Vegetable Stock Powder in ¾ cup of water. Bring to simmer over medium-low heat for 6 minutes. Remove packet.You should have about ½ cup vegetable stock.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add olive oil. When oil is hot, add shallots and stir for 2 minutes. Add garlic and stir for 20 seconds.
- Add squid, pinches of the sea salt, black pepper, and ¼ cup of vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer over low-medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes.
- Add kale, a pinch of salt and 2 tablespoons vegetable stock, and cook until stock is almost absorbed (about 2--3 minutes). Add Worcestershire sauce, give several large stirs, and turn off heat. Serve warm.